Sunday, March 14, 2010

Amercian Life

As a descendant of slaves, is it problematic for me to accept the American life? How can I aspire to the American dream? How is not my conformity silent allegiance to an oppressive system that classified my ancestors as meaningless cargo? It seems that the struggle to reconcile oneself to life in America is deeply troubling for black people. What to do with the anger? How do you adhere to the principals and ideas of a hypocritical country? At times, I find myself wrestling with the idea. Is my acceptance of the system a mockery to my ancestors? How can I seek approval from a system that sought to destroy my people? Honestly, I dont think that I can. I feel that my life should be spent attacking the American way of life that was built on the backs of my ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment