Saturday, March 13, 2010

Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity

As an African American, I want desperately to believe in the idea of one humanity, to try to look past the bloodied past of my people, to not allow for hate to corrode my heart and dampen my outlook, to struggle to believe that one humanity is not simply a lie. When I choose to embrace, it simply allows me to overlook the hell that my people continue to face.However, when I hear the voices of Beck, Limbaugh,and Hannity I wonder what portion of white America they speak for and how is their hate speech applauded and rewarded with radio shows and television programs? It is difficult to believe in one humanity when there are voices and ideas that seek to deny the plight and continued struggle of African American people. To me, one humanity is not possible until outrage is collective. When the denigration of a people is rebuked by all. Also, when voices that placate to white fears and ignorance are not rewarded but isolated and challenged for what they are: detriments to the ideas of one humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment