Saturday, March 27, 2010

Huey P Newton "Revolutionary Suicide"

"To understand revolutionary suicide, it is first necessary to have an idea of reactionary suicide, for the two are very different. Reactionary suicide: the reaction of a man who takes his own life in response to social conditions that overwhelm him and condemn him to helplessness"

"I do not think that life will change for the better without an assault on the establishment, which goes on exploiting the wretched of the earth. This belief lies at the heart of the concept of revolutionary suicide. Thus, it is better to oppose the forces that would drive me to self-murder than to endure them. Although, I risk the likelihood of death, there is at least the possibility, if not the probability, of changing intolerable conditions."

"But before we die, how shall we live? I say with hope and dignity; and if premature death is the result, that death has meaning that reactionary suicide can never have. It is the price of self-respect"

Huey P. Newton

3 comments:

  1. T.A. "Free Palestine"December 24, 2010 at 4:31 AM

    "I believe I was born not to die in a car wreck or slipping on a piece of ice, or of a bad heart, but I’m going to be able to die doing the things I was born for. I believe I’m going to die high off the people."- F.H. Sr.

    When do we step into our own light that our lives have for so long been in shadow of? When do we resemble the same stagnant people we so oppose and not want to become?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too believe I was not born to die a casual death, but too go off with a humongous bang. If fighting for what I stand for doesn't appeal to their better nature so be it. Best to kill with success and bury with my smile
    smile. -Brittney J.C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good poem and may god bless u all amen

    ReplyDelete