Friday, March 26, 2010

Freedom and Love

What does it mean to love? Is love, by nature, something selfish? Is it an idea predicated on the fulfillment of self through someone else. Are we content to love if it forces others to lose themselves in the midst of our joy? This is a simple questions from a complicated man who is seeking to move from normalcy. Normal is restricting and does not lead to true happiness ,but instead, it is an acceptance of an idea that says that this is as good as it gets. I am seeking to move as close to my definition of freedom as possible. What is my definition of freedom? It is the ability to exist in time and space, unchained by the conventions that force me to be anything other than what I want to be. Freedom is the ability to be true to myself. I am not bashing love. I'm simply saying that love, for me, must be free of the entanglements that will allow for me to not be happy. So this means that it must be free of jealousy, control and disappointment based on the actions of others who do not soothe the unspoken longings that emanate from my soul. If love can exist in this space, then I will embrace it with reckless abandon and get lost in the idea of love because it will bring me closer to the freedom that I long for.

No comments:

Post a Comment