Sunday, March 21, 2010

What is the Truth?

Is America moving past the divisions of race and embracing a new vision of humanity? Or are the victories of the present simply a smokescreen that clouds the true picture? One where black people are still viewed through the prism of difference, and are never allowed to be considered truly American? Where their views must be tested to see if they fit the ideals of what America truly stands for? This question must be answered because when I see the national debate over health care, I am concerned. When I see tea party protesters screaming words of hate and yelling out racial epithets towards congress members, I am concerned. I began to wonder if the seeds of American racism planted centuries ago are still yielding profitable fruit? Where does the truth lie? Is the venom of racism as potent today as it was in the past? Or have we transcended past the pit of racial bigotry and landed on a higher plain of shared humanity? I wonder when I see the ways in which the President of the United States is constantly referred to as Mr. Obama by the mainstream media. I wonder? Is the idea of power something that will constantly be preferred to exist in the hand of whites? Will blacks continue to gain access into a system that, when pushed, will continue to remind them that they will always be outsiders? I wonder what the real truth is?

No comments:

Post a Comment