Friday, August 27, 2010

Get Free From What?

When I speak of getting free I wonder at times if people ask the question, getting free from what? I know for many America represents a place where extreme privilege is birthright and the idea that there is more and that we should strive beyond our own ambitions is insane. However, it is this very mindset that I am seeking to get free from. A mindset that perpetuates selfishness and indifference and makes true change impossible. True freedom cannot be attained without extreme sacrifice and the current American ideology diminishes the importance of sacrifice. So, when I say Let's Get Free I am saying lets break from the apathy and indifference that makes the idea of change nothing more than political jargon to be espoused by those that think revolution is a seasonal occupation that livens up there otherwise cushy lives. Let's become more consciousness and recognize that with consciousness there must come a change in our outlook and our actions. IT IS TIME TO WAKE UP!

4 comments:

  1. WELL SAID! I FEEL THIS TRULY ENCAPSULATES THE POWER AND PASSION THAT FUELS YOUR VOICE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to pose a continuation to suggestion: if we are to break free from apathy and indifference, what should we be? I guess, what is being conscious mean? Is it the opposite of apathy and indifference or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should be concerned with the state of society. More importantly, we should recognize the ways in which our apathy and indifference allows for systematic oppression to continue. I think conscious is simply being awake to the issues that surround us on a daily basis. Also, if we could elevate ourselves up from the belief that everything is about us then our conscious could be raised to the point were we would think more as a collective than always as an individual. I truly feel that when one is conscious that they try to resit the times when apathy and indifference takes hold in their life.

    ReplyDelete