Monday, January 10, 2011

The comfort of fear

At times it is easy to embrace the comfort of failure or the familiarity of limited expectations because it allows for a damaged self-worth to remain protected. It seems that at times we can be our own worst enemy. Afraid to embrace new challenges because the fear of the unknown keeps us retreating towards familiar boxes. I am beginning to see the ways in which historical wounds on the psyches of my people has continuously manifested itself in the questionable choices my people continue to make. Maybe it easier to retreat from the world evoking the stale cries of racism and systematic injury then to truly apply oneself without the protective cover of accepted excuses? However, I do not want my words to be used to absolve a racist society of its destructive role in the continuous oppression of my people. No, I want my words to challenge my people to truly examine our choices and to see the ways in which fear has sought to create a prison around our aspirations. Let's believe in our greatness and began the process of daily actualizing our beauty and courage. To my people in the struggle Let's Get Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment