Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fear and Love

Fear- Anxiety caused by approaching danger.

In the bible it says that the Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Truthfully, I have always had a problem with the idea that I can love that which I am taught to fear. I wonder can I truly serve God if my idea of God is so deeply connected with fear? Fear is not liberating it essentially enslaves those who become its prisoner. It seems that the ideas that help shape our understanding of God in this society serve as a barrier to our liberation. More importantly, it seems that the presence of fear does not allow for us to truly explore the concept of God because we are groomed to see the Lord as merely a entity who is concerned about what choices we make. I think at some point we must redefine our concept of God and truly seek to understand God apart from the societal restrictions that religion has placed on our belief systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment