Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I wonder

I wonder what my life would be like if I did not know racism? If I was not convinced that my blackness would determine my destiny? These are questions that I asked because at times I wonder if we are damaging our youth? If our insistence that they know their history is instilling them with pride or placing glass ceilings on their aspirations? This is not saying that we should not know our history,it is simply questioning the way we teach our history. Do we chain our children to an ideology that convinces them they are the perpetual victims in the story of America? More importantly,if they are convinced they are victims how do we empower them to surpass all of life's obstacles? These are critical questions we must ask ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment